Re: Can't connect to database using 'sqlplus <username>/<password>', even when ORACLE_SID is set.

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:34:15 -0800

Jeffrey Yee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As oracle user, I can use 'sqlplus <username>/<password>' to log in to
> a database, when ORACLE_SID is set. But when I'm login as root, and
> then set the ORACLE_SID, but 'sqlplus <username>/<password>' will give
> me the following error:
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

No OS or version! :-(
No Oracle version! :-(

When connecting to a local database (using BEQ protocol & not SQL*Net), both ORACLE_SID & ORACLE_HOME need to be correct & exported. Plus, PATH needs to include $ORACLE_HOME/bin & if on *nix LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to include $ORACLE_HOME/lib Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 18:34:15 CST