Re: Multi-Master Replication over an air-gap

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:34:29 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2003 11:24:19 -0800, andrew_at_soft-solutions-inc.com (Andrew
> Blakeslee) wrote:
>

>>I am investigating a scenario where I need to keep two databases
>>synchronized, but there cannot be a physical connection due to
>>security constraints. Is it possible to setup a multi-master
>>replication scenario where the replication transactions are copied to
>>a removable media from one database and then loaded from the removable
>>media to the other database at fixed intervals? There should be a
>>relatively low volume of transactions, so the size of the data being
>>transferred should not be an issue.

> Sure there is. It is called export - import

I think the OP was asking if there was a way to use the standard Oracle replication mechanisms rather than writing all the replication logic himself. Obviously, with a multimaster architecture there are several other things that have to occur besides a simple export/import to make this work (change identification, conflict resolution, data merge, etc...). I'm pretty sure that the only propagation mechanism supported by Oracle is across database links. In other words, you probably are going to have to write your own replication system for this.

--
Richard Kuhler