Re: Oracle 9iR2 data Mining for newbie

From: Peter Connolly <peter_at_alum.wpi.edu>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 13:00:05 -0800

Sean,

Q1: I've never used Oracle's data mining tools, so I can't speak for them.

Q2: I would highly recommend learning about knowledge discovery in databases (KDD). Data mining is only one step in KDD. It involves everything from obtaining data to mining it and displaying it in a way that users can comprehend. For a start, you can take a look at http://www.kdnuggets.com//gpspubs/aimag-kdd-overview-1996-Fayyad.pdf.

Q3: You can, but I would suggest using a data warehouse.

-Peter