Re: Caching within packages..

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:35:46 GMT

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:48:48 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>So every time someone makes a change to a table you are going to bounce
>the server? Do you really advocate that? If so I'd suggest you keep
>really quiet during job interviews.

Not necessarily 'bounce', more like a refresh (reconnect). Out app server is capable of that..

Yes, I am an advocate of that. I am also an advocate of finding non-traditional solutions, and yes, someone like you might not like it on an inverview.

However, I don't claim to be an guru, that's why I turn to this newsgroup for advice, and when I have something to share (and time) I do so as well.

I don't want to continue arguing about caching, as in certain solutions where there are millions of lookups per hour, it might just make sense. Additionally, if we do have 'changes', it would mostly be additions and not updates, which is not a concern in this kind of caching. However, somebenchmakring would still have to be done. .......
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 10:35:46 CST