RMAN - recovery question

From: Tom <tomNOSPAM_at_teameazyriders.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:24:58 -0000

Hi,

9.1.0.4 on RedHat

Just about to go live with my migration from 8i to 9.

Doing a few last minute test restores and i noticed something that it would be good if i could clarify.

The example would be something along the lines of

table with around a million rows in it
this recieves a full backup with RMAN each night with the following syntax

run {
allocate channel d1 type disk;
backup
full
tag full_db
format '/u05/backup/rman/db_%t_%s_p%p'
(database);
release channel d1;
 }

I also put them onto tape using a different program

I deleted few hundred thousand rows from a table today and also deleted one of the datafiles.

I recovered the database using the following syntax

run {
allocate channel dev1 type disk;
sql "alter tablespace main offline immediate"; restore tablespace main;
recover tablespace main;
sql "alter tablespace main online";
release channel dev1;
}

This brought the tablespace back online and selects worked fine etc -

My query is this though, As the full backup was done before the tme when the data from the table was dropped after the restoration why does the table contain the number of rows from after the delete and not from before as this was when the backup was done?

thanks

Tom Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 10:24:58 CST