Re: RMAN Architecture

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 06:50:42 -0800

"Latyr" <latyr-nospam_at_free.fr> wrote in message news:<3fd3bbba$0$7151$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> Hello
>
> I am working on RMAN since a while.
> Taking a RMAN repository wich is a small dedicated database on server A and
> production database on a différent server B.
> A and B are both running Win2000/Oracle8i server.
> I want to perform backup IBM Tivoli to backup to tapes.
>
> What should I do ?
>
> 1/ Install and configure Tivoli TSM / TDP on machine A
>
> 2/ Install and configure Tivoli TSM / TDP on machine B
>
> 3/ Install and configure Tivoli TSM / TDP on machine A and B
>
> If 2/ or 3/, that it means RMAN doesn't allow a centralised architecture ? I
> mean that if I want to backup other databases on others machines that I need
> to configure Tivoli on them too.
>
> It would be perfect if I can configure Tivoli on the RMAN server and then
> backup as many database I want without any more work except register the
> database and store backup scripts.
>
> I apolodize for my poor english.
> Hope you understood my questions.
>
> Thanks

Both 1 and 2 would actually work. Your judgement of 2/ is wrong. Other than 'performancewise' (to quote Serg. Esterhaus in Hill Street Blues) it doesn't matter where the tape is located. This is dealt by installing the correct drivers on the correct machines. Products like Tivoli definitely support Remote Procedure Calls

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Dec 11 2003 - 08:50:42 CST