Re: installing oracle9: raid1 or raid 5 harddisk ???

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:07:03 GMT

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:18:32 +0100, RoBog wrote:

> I have a PC with 4 harddisk:
>
> c: raid1 , win 2003 server
>
> d: e: no raid
>
> f: raid5
>
> Question: where must I put OracleHome (= oracle9 server files, not the
> database files that goes on f:) for better
> performances? c: or f: ? ... and why :-)

You should split the f: into two partitions and then mirror/ stripe them to ensure fault tolerance. That would give RAID 1+0 which will work as long as the f: drive is OK. Be sure to use mauve database because they use least RAM. Last, you asked "why"? Well, that is not the right question. Nobody knows what the right question is, that is why the planet Earth is here, but the answer to the right question is "42".

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)