Re: Index rebuild, coalesce or reserve key

From: wangbin <binw_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 10 Dec 2003 15:44:50 -0800

Thanks,Howard.

> Presumably, you don't have the partitioning option? Because hash
> partitioning an index is a much better way of achieving what the reverse key
> index is supposed to achieve.

I didn't think about hash partitioning. I'll look up it closely.

> In your case, and assuming no partitioning option, I would have thought the
> coalesce option would have been the best, in principle. But you say there
> are bugs you are encountering... though you don't say what version of Oracle
> you are using, nor which O/S, so it's difficult to know for sure.
I also think coalesce is the best option, provided all my goal is to stop indexes growing. It's the reason that I implement it after testing. But no joy. I use 9.2.0.3 with RAC option on redhat AS 2.1.

I really cannot give good comment to the quality of ORACLE local support(OZ). They are always very busy. I made TAR with Severity 2 yesterday. Without any feeback for a day, they change "Detailed Status" to "Waiting on Customer" with "We are currently reviewing the TAR." I always provide all info when I open the TAR, but I have to repost them couple times until they understand it. I see the different when issue becomes Severity 1. Most of time, I hear nothing from the local support at all. It's better in the India shift, at least they call me and understand what the issue is immediately. It's even better in the US shift, since they have lab and can do the test. But to get it, I have to work for 24 hours.

Regards,
Bin Received on Wed Dec 10 2003 - 17:44:50 CST