Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 10 Dec 2003 05:14:43 -0800

daniel morgan is 100% correct on this one, DBAs need to work with developers and not act like the protectors of the system. Im of the opinion(since I do both dba and development work) that developers should be given free reign on the development system until and unless they prove me wrong.

The first thing that should be done when joining a project is to assess the skill level of senior members of the team. We all know from experience that alot of 'senior' people dont know anything about the database even if they have coded pl/sql for 10 years. If that is the case you have one of two options.

  1. take away privileges and hide everything from these guys
  2. Attempt to teach them about the database

the second option is in large part on the shoulders of the developers. Do they want to learn? and more importantly do they think they know everything? We have all heard the 'i dont need to know?' or you tell someone something they dont like what you have to say, so they pretend like you never said it in the first place. Been there. Its really bad when its your boss who is like that...

There is no reason why a good developer cannot learn the core functionality and architecture of the database. I usually play it by stating that its good for their career and it is. Makes them more productive and in the long run they will make more money.

Im also of the opinion that there is only so much you can teach someone. To become really good at anything, people have to go get the knowledge themselves. I think 'guided' training is the most effective. I think your role should be to 'de-greekify' the database. Teach them core fundamentals so everything isnt new and the docs quickly become more readable. Dont go 'just read the concepts doc and get back to me'. Open up the docs and say read these 5 chapters to start with and this part of this chapter isnt that important right now. Much more productive that way. Makes everyone's like easier.

It also goes both ways. You help them and they will help you pick up Object Oriented design. So we can all pick up skills. I have been stunned at how much just a small guiding hand from someone who can speak well and understands you cant just give out TONS of information at once can help you speed up the learning process.

On the other hand, if they dont want to learn and insist they know everything and do something stupid. then its

'alter user account lock'

send email an email with the subject, see me.