Re: How to run backup using RMAN on my standalone NT laptop?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:38:39 +1100

"cs" <wchuacs_at_pc.jaring.my> wrote in message news:br6e30$elk$1_at_news6.jaring.my...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to get use of RMAN feature and play around with it on my
> standaloline laptop running Win2K professional.
>
> I have installed Oracle9iR1 database and having 2 test databases created
and
> running well. I am currently reading the RMAN pdf file provided by Oracle
> Documentation CD.
>
> Can someone give me some guides or show me where to get more information
on
> running RMAN backup and restore if necessary on a standalone laptop ?
>
> I understand that there shall be some tape library systems attached with
> database machine to run the RMAN backup but would it be possible to use
like
> NT ocopy to do the RMAN backup which means store the backup copies in my
> hardisk.
> The databases are relatively very small.
>
> I hope I can manage to find out how it works and forget about it if my
case
> doesn't really working as I don't have additional tape libary system
> attached to my laptop.

Actually, you don't need to backup to tape at all with RMAN. He's perfectly happy backing up to hard disk... and that's an approach I rather recommend to people, because you can then use any backup utility you like to transfer the resulting backup set to tape, rather than potentially pay the excessive cost involved in getting hold of a decent media management layer.

All you need to do is to open a CMD window on your laptop (start-run-command) and type 'rman target /'. That will invoke RMAN, and connect you to whatever database is specified as your ORACLE_SID (invariably, on Windows, the second instance/database created -so if you want to make it connect to the other instance, just type "set ORACLE_SID=xxxx" (without the quotes) before you invoke RMAN). Once you're connected, you just type 'backup database;', and you're off.

There's a bit more to it than that, of course. You might find www.geocities.com/lydian_third -the Books link- Backup and Recovery useful, since it has a fair bit on RMAN. That paper was written for Oracle 8.0, and so is a bit out of date, but backup and recovery principles haven't changed much between versions, and all the rman scripts it contains will run without change on Oracle 9i. If you want to get to grips with the specifically 9i RMAN commands, then that's where your official Oracle documentation will kick in.

Regards
HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com