Re: benefits of multiple switch logfile calls?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:27:25 +1100

"lsattle" <lsattle_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:95898986.0312091454.44f631d3_at_posting.google.com...

> I take your correction about what oracle support told me about "using
> backup controlfile" because if whay you use works it is superior.

[snip]

> > > The bottom line is our recovery has worked and works good.
> >
> > The bottom line is actually as evidenced in this reply of yours. You
don't
> > know how Oracle works (trace file recoveries do not require a
resetlogs.).

> What I do have a problem with is your attitude!

See, the trouble I have is dealing with illogicality. On the one hand, you admit you have learnt something you didn't know before. On the other hand, you dislike my "attitude" for having shown you it in the first place.

It is ever thus. Some people are gratetful to be shown the facts. Other people feel I've made them look stupid for pointing out where their knowledge is, shall we say, deficient, and get personal about *me* in return.

All I have tried to do is point out that what works isn't necessarily going to work for ever. That understanding why something works is good practice. That armed with that knowledge you can devise something that works even better. And I haven't made a personal comment about *you* (as opposed to the knowledge you have or don't have) during any of that.

> But you're very critical of someone's (really some group of people's)
> technique that works, is proven to work, works repeatedly, but maybe
> doesn't stand up to your standards knowledgewise, and could be
> improved some.

See?! Got it in one. It could probably "be improved some". I rest my case. And even if it can't be improved in *your* specific situation, this is a public forum, and someone else reading this might find that for them, it can be.

>It's almost as though my lack of knowledge has caused
> you to be so critical, not the facts of our ability to recover?

Stumbling through recovery and managing to pull it off is not to be recommended. Knowing what you're doing, and doing it properly, with confidence, and with assurance of the underlying structures doing their stuff, is. That's all. Don't take it personally, because it isn't directed at *you* qua person, but is a criticism of a general approach that is far too common. People should know how Oracle works, not find mysterious/magical ways to make it do things.

HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com