Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2003 12:41:16 -0600

On 9 Dec 2003, zifnab_at_islandsofmyth.org wrote:
> Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message

>> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003, damorgan_at_x.washington.edu wrote:
>>
>> > Developers need to learn to work together as a team.
>>
>> Thats what source control is all about.  Everybody focuses on
>> maintaining the mainline.  That is the teamwork that must be
>> focused on, or, are you suggesting that everybody also share
>> the same desk and chair?

> You seem to be thinking about this only from the perspective of
> your code and source control works great for that but what
> about database versions?
>
> We had a case where developers were doing exactly what you have
> said they all had their own local instance of an Oracle
> database and were developing happily on their own (of course
> the code was in source control ) even though we had a
> development database that was setup and ready for their use.
>
> When it came time to put this application into a staging
> database pre production an odd thing was found. Their
> application no longer worked because they had been developing
> against 9i and our databases were still at 8.1.7.4 upgrading
> was not an option yet (for various other reasons) so they had
> to backtrack and fix their application.
>
> While the case may be a bit extreme 8.1.7 - 9i I can easily see
> where other minor version changes that each developer didn't
> keep up with could cause the same issues yet your code is still
> perfectly in sync.

Yes. We have 9.2.0.1 on windows while our deployment environments are on 9.2.0.2 Solaris. We have deployed often, but the first couple of times, we ferreted out Solaris specific bugs. But, we certainly didn't wait until the last moment to deploy to a production environment. We are still in beta but have been deploying for months.

--
Galen Boyer