Re: Using Packages makes ALTER TABLE dangerous

From: Joachim Zobel <jzobel_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:05:37 +0100

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:43:28 +0100, Frank wrote:

> No - there's a dependency between the package and the table. If one of
> the dependants changes, the objects depending get invalidated.

I know what _is_ happening. But this is not necessarily so. There could be for example compilation into versioned object files so that there is no need for locking against compilation.

> And when using encapsulation, how can you alter the table? Surely this
> should be solved withing the package...

Huh?

If you go from

class foo {
public:
 foo() {
 }
private:
 int bar;
}

class foo {
public:
 foo() {
  bar = 0;
 }
private:
 int bar;
}

there should be an interface?!

Joachim

--
Warnung: \" kann Augenkrebs verursachen.