Re: Using Packages makes ALTER TABLE dangerous

From: Joachim Zobel <jzobel_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:05:37 +0100

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:03:12 -0600, Galen Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003, jzobel_at_myle.-dejanews.com wrote:

>> Is there a way to use packages for table encapsulation and still be
>> able to do ALTER TABLEs without fear?

> When a change is needed to your application's codebase, do you actually
> just recompile a single class and deploy it, or do you recompile your
> entire application and redeploy that? After answering that, don't you
> think that the flexibility you get with the database's engine is
> actually quite good?

This depends. mod_perl on Apache is actually hot deployable, if you are careful. Server Side Javascript needs recompilation and an application restart for even an HTML change.

> Maybe, instead of getting all pissed cause you had a little bit of
> trouble, you just need to figure out how to find what breaks and make
> sure you recompile those things? Oracle gives you lots of solid tools
> and lots of documentation on how to do this. Far more than some java
> environment does.

Recompilation was not possible, due to idle active connections, that probably some broken error handling had left behind. In such a situation I would want to be kept from invalidating the package by some "in use" error.

By the way, I am quite happy that I don't have to know any java enviroment.

Joachim

--
Warnung: \" kann Augenkrebs verursachen.