Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Dec 2003 08:39:21 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1070953831.702280_at_yasure>...
> Billy Verreynne wrote:
>
> > Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote
> >
> >>That's half a latte'. How about DBMS_PROFILER and other built-in packages?
> >
> > They don't know how to use expain plan.
>
> Shame shame shame!
>
> Better than what I'm really thinking.
>
> I have tried numerous times to
> > get them to use TKPROF. Access to DBMS_PROFILER? They won't know what
> > to do with it.
>
> I have a rule ... no code goes into production without accompanying
> explain plans and DBMS_PROFILER runs. It is part of the rules of
> engagement and should be mandatory everywhere.
>
> Any developer can learn Explain Plan in five minutes: DBMS_PROFILER in
> thirty or less.
>
> >>If you get it right send me your postal address off-line and the latte'
> >>is yours.
> >
> > Does it come with several cases of beer? ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Billy
>
> I keep Chimay in the frige but it doesn't ship well.

That, is a difficult task, as it keeps disappearing. East India Pale Ales ship very well, like from the UK, to Mumbai, across India.

I checked out your article on DBMS_PROFILER last night. NYOUG has an excellent technical journal, and is always looking for authors to submit papers/articles (http://www.nyoug.org) if you're interested.

btw - the link to the Oracle Trace Analyzer utility is obsolete. there is a download link in the Metalink note 224270.1 http://metalink.oracle.com

hth.

Pd Received on Tue Dec 09 2003 - 10:39:21 CST