Execute Immediate command

From: Roger Christophel <christophelr_at_battelle.org>
Date: 9 Dec 2003 05:45:35 -0800

I have recently written several scripts to modify a database, and because the customer's DBA will actually be running the scripts I wrote a short script that calls all the other scripts.

One of the modification scripts uses the EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command and was in the middle of the calling script. I believe the script with the EXECUTE IMMEDIATE caused other commands in the calling script and the next script to be executed pre-maturely, which in turned caused things to really mess up. When I moved the script with the EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command to the bottom of the list so that it was called last, everything ran as expected.

I have two questions, first is my assumption correct in that the EXECUTE IMMEDIATE command can cause this kind of problem and second what does one do to keep it from happening?

Thanks,
Roger Received on Tue Dec 09 2003 - 07:45:35 CST