Re: RMAN Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:39:38 +1100

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:1efdad5b.0312081133.75351dfe_at_posting.google.com...

> > So I presume the issue is simply what backs up the RMAN repository
itself?
> > I'd suggest export/import. The repository database should be small; the
> > repository information is smaller still (about 20MB per target database
per
> > year); and you only need to export the one RMAN schema. Will probably
take
> > about 10 minutes tops.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
>
> you cant detect block corruption with exp/imp. No dbverify for .dmp
> files.

We're talking about a very small tablespace being exported, not gigabutes of stuff. Export is its own check on corruption within the source data file, because it's doing selects, and any corrupt blocks will cause it to blow up. No you can't check the dmp file for corruption with dbv, but then that's what import does.

Alternatively, try transportable tablespace backups. Then you have a dbf, and dbv can verify that to its heart's content.

Or alternatively still, do a boring old 'alter tablespace rmants begin backup' and copy the damned thing at the O/S level.

Why anyone wants to turn this particular molehill into a mountain, beats me.

>Not ideal. Id consider, but I really think Id go with 2 RMAN
> repositories or maybe even three to be super anal.

That's just silly, not anal. Two separate repositories requires two separate backups of the targets, which is twice the workload, twice the I/O and twice the repository management issues. The issue isn't that major in the first place, and your approach is utter over-kill, potentially confusing, and therefore potentially dangerous.

When all is said and done, RMAN doesn't even need a repository, even before 9i.

HJR

--
Oracle insights at www.dizwell.com