Re: developer privs in development (old thread inaccessible)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:32:22 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1070758771.453982_at_yasure>...
>
> I think this is a great idea. I wanted to do it on a big government
> job, but never could get the go-ahead to put together a reasonable
> referential subset of the big database.

I think it is a terrible idea and I am not at all surprised it was rejected. Though given it was a big government project perhaps I should be surprise.

The problem is that I would expect massive incompatibilities. Developers need to learn to work together as a team. What you suggest only adds to our already overinflated sense of ourselves.

>>Someone's got money to burn and is probably in gross violation of their
>>license with Oracle Corp.

> Neat thing about a government license is it is unlimited. Won't
> comment on government budgeting.

Well from the taxpayers point of view it certainly seems like it is. ;-)

>>I've never seen a development project assembled this way ... ever.

> I think the downloadable stuff from Oracle does encourage such
> licensing and it is legal. What's really the difference between this
> and dividing developers up by schema?

Identical init.ora. Identical system and session parameters. The ability   of management to see that work is actually being performed.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)