Re: Help: Oracle Export and Select Statements

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:53:18 GMT

> I am looking to say only export tables name begining A%, B%, C% in one
> file, tables name begining D%, E%, F% in one file, and tables name
> begining X%, Y%, Z% in one file.

There is no condition you can add to Oracle's export utility similar to TABLES=A%,B%,C%.... The SELECT statement you referred to limits rows from a specific table, not limiting specific tables. To do that, you'll have to enumarate each table in the TABLES clause. This should be pretty easy to do if you use SQL*Plus to generate your TABLES clause for you.

But why don't you just export the whole thing? By exporting tables A%,B%,C% in one dump and then D%,E%,F% in another, and so on up to Z% you will be exporting the whole thing in pieces. Why not just create one big one? Is it the file sizes that are your limitation? Oracle exports can be very large files now. And if you want smaller files, the export utility can create them smaller.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com