Re: Which index to create ?

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 20:19:50 +0200

The index is not used if the column b allows NULL values. Change the column to not null if you can.
Then index full scan or index fast full scan can be used for finding distinct values. Note that you need CBO for that.

Another way would be to create a materialized view on this distinct query and set query_rewrite to true. This requires some care, since MV won't be used if it's contents get out of sync with table contents (in case query_rewrite_integrity is not set to stale_tolerated).

Tanel.