Re: Spotlight on Oracle by Quest

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 8 Dec 2003 07:14:58 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1070813197.156567_at_yasure>...
> I agree. Quest's products may be a bit pricey but quality has never been
> the issue. If I might inquire ... which competitor and are you happy
> with the decision technology wise, not just the lower price?

It was more complicated. Question was not to have Spotlight or to have its competitor. We needed to select a whole portfolio of products for database management, monitoring and tuning. So Spotlight was just a small part in the offer. The other (and at the end happier) guy was BMC's Patrol. From technological point of view I think that both offers were comparable, so real selection was made during negotiation with price as major factor, but also some others were involved (support contract, interoperability in current environment, demands on operator's knowledge etc.).

--
Dusan Bolek