Re: Long columns obsolete

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:43:24 -0600

I just wanted to pass a varchar2 larger than 4K. I don't want to store it in the database. So, this is good info for me to look at.

Also, if anyone wants to know, the PlSql is used to send an email (uses utl_smtp) with a small summary report.

But even small summary reports hit the 4k limit fairly quickly. Not wanting to allow large reports sent this way, but 4k is way too small for many things needed in the email.

Not even looking at the message text, the list of people (passed as a varchar2) getting the report would be limited to about 160 users (4000/25) where the average email id is estimated at about 25 characters (counting the comma).

Now send all those criticisms I am sure I will get .... :)

--
"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message

> On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 09:45:17 -0500, "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery
> .com> wrote:
>

> >| Where does your 32787 come from - typo, I presume?
> >|

> >Apparently a typo, but not 32768 either...
> >
> >PL/SQL User's Guide, Fundamentals chapter:
> >
> >You use the VARCHAR2 datatype to store variable-length character data.
How