Moving users between profiles - PW issues?

From: jay <jcsanne_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Dec 2003 07:32:42 -0800

My company has created a profile that all Oracle databases must implement. The main purpose of this profile is to enforce stronger password standards. The corporate folks have a new PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION that will enforce longer password lengths, ensure at least one special character, and at least one numeric.

I manage a database that has about 300 folks in the DEFAULT profile without anything specified for PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION. I'm assuming that many of my users don't have passwords that meet all of the standards above.

Before I blindly shift 300 accounts to this new profile I want to know what will happen to users with passwords that will "fail" new PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION. For instance, if the new PASSWORD_VERIFY_FUNCTION says 6 characters, but the user's password is 3 characters, what happens? Will Oracle force a "graceful" password change or is the account locked out?

Does anyone has experience with this?

Thanks. Received on Sun Dec 07 2003 - 09:32:42 CST