Re: Long columns obsolete

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:45:48 GMT

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 10:26:55 +0100, Robert wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I have a third party application which uses a lot of LONG columns.
> I heard Oracle has them for backwards compatibility and from 9i they are
> obsolete.

So says Oracle. On the other hand, they're cheerfully and merrily using them in DBA_VIEWS and DBA_TRIGGERS, aren't they?

> Is this true ? I can't seems to find a statement on this at the oracle site

Well, the statement is that the type LONG is deprecated, which means "frowned upon". If you don't want to feel guilty for making oracle corp frown, then don't use them.

> If you had the choice would you use LONG's ?

The size doesn't matter or so they say, but I wouldn't use long because the support for LOB is so much better. You don't have anything even remotely like DBMS_LOB for longs.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)