Re: Changing isolation level? ++ scenarios

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:38:13 -0800

Comments in-line.

Hemant Shah wrote:

> I don't think anyone said that it was wrong.

I know you didn't. I didn't want you to interpret my remarks in that manner so I explicitly stated my position.

  As I have said it and Joel also
> suggested the application has worked without any problems for years and over
> different data access method.

But not on Oracle or with Oracle's architecture. Would you suggest that camels should be able to sing because canarys can? Oracle isn't the prior RDBMSs anymore than a camel is a canary.

  Oracle is different so I have to code around
> that. It would be a nightmare, if I redesign application everytime I have to
> port to another data access method.

Not if you value performance, scalability, security, and data integrity. It is just the cost of doing business and your customers either step up to the bill or they get mediocrity. It is your obligation, though, to not produce mediocrity just to save a little extra work. Figure the cost of doing the job correctly into the estimate.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu