Can you expect from snapshot logs to support huge refresh volumes ?!?

From: Spendius <spendius_at_muchomail.com>
Date: 5 Dec 2003 07:01:48 -0800

Hi,
I'm beginning to wonder if the mechanism of fast refreshes using the snapsh. logs MLOG$_* tables on the master side is supposed to be able to bear heavy loads and huge volumes of data to replicate. Here is why:

Here a certain module of our app can generate 2 to 400 000 of rows in a given snapshot on *EACH* site (we're dealing with one master site here, linked to 25 snapshot sites) => every time this operation happens, ALL sites need 3 to 4 days to be suitably refreshed, we get phone calls from all over these sites of people complaining (the management complains as well) etc., in brief the replication queue becomes overloaded and the DBAs situation delicate ! It *looks like* this mechanism doesn't allow for following the application requirements and needs.

We're on 8.1.7.4 on Sun/Solaris 8. The master DB runs on an Enterprise 450 with 2 CPUs @ 480MHz, the snapshots servers are Sun Fire 280. On snapshot sites refresh jobs occur every 10 minutes.

Any ideas (or questions, if you want more details about our environment) ?

Thanks a lot...
Spendius Received on Fri Dec 05 2003 - 09:01:48 CST