Re: Oracle 9i (9.2.0.1.0) Install link errors

From: Joseph Dimech <joe_at_tsc-corp.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 14:09:42 GMT

Hi Mark:

    Thanks for sticking up for me. You are right! If the guy doesn't have anything worth while to say he should not say it. But I let stuff like that roll of my back. Not worth the hassle. Anyway, I have found the problem and would like to post my findings in order to help anyone else who may have these symptoms. As I had noted: I ran into multiple compile errors. I had checked the pre-install notes for requirement and set up the proper environment variables, tuned the kernel (Solaris 8), set up the necessary accounts and groups, then read release notes. Even bought a new 18 gig drive to make sure I have enough space. My first problem I ran into was the "tmp" file system was too small. No problem, I set the "TMP" and "TMPDIR" to a larger file system I had available. That was the easy part. After proceeding from there I ran into the compile errors during install. Turns out that I missed checking my swap space. I have 512 meg of memory but only 250 meg of swap was allocated. The machine came pre-configured with Solairs 8 from a company which specializes in Sun machines. I assumed this should have not been an issue but I was wrong. I should have known this because I had seen this behavior before while compiling our software at work years ago when disk space and memory were resources were less plentiful. So there you have it! See, it is not that I didn't read the install manual, it is just the I missed a couple of lines in the process of reading and doing (back and forth). All Sybrand had do was suggest that I re-check my pre-install requirements in case I missed something. You know... just give some direction, not specifics. That is if he had any kind of clue. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Best regards,
Joseph