Re: RMAN Question

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:44:30 GMT

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:29:46 -0800, Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> Is it wise to have 2 instances with RMAN repositories or just one that
> is backed up a few times a day. If its an RMAN catalog, it would be a
> small instance so this is highly practical.

What would be the alleged purpose of the second instance? It does make sense if you have two disjoint systems of databases and two backup systems. For instance, you can use one system to back up your NT boxes and another one to backup your Unix boxes. In that case, I'd recommend two separate RMAN systems, together with two catalogs. If it's only a security measure - definitely not because you'd stand a good chance of having discrepancies, what would be an administrative nightmare.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)