Re: not able to start Oracle Database

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 09:34:35 -0800

Brian Peasland wrote:

> That's pretty much the basics. I would highly suggest that you visit
> your company's backup & recovery policies pertaining to your Oracle
> databases. You should have a valid backup. And backups don't help unless
> you know how to recover from them. So learn solid recovery techniques as
> well. This is one of your most important jobs as a DBA.
>
> HTH,Brian

Good advice to which I would add:

Unless your company is planning a bankruptcy in the near future their investment in Oracle should be backed up by getting you into a class, as soon as possible, to learn the skills you will require to do your job properly.

Assuming your Oracle installation is legal and licensed I would also suggest you find out about your support agreement with Oracle and get the CSI number: Perhaps from your Oracle sales rep if no one else knows it. You can then set up an account for yourself at metalink and access the essential help information you will require to survive.

Best of luck.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu