Re: Changing isolation level?

From: Hemant Shah <shah_at_typhoon.xnet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:04:12 +0000 (UTC)

While stranded on information super highway Daniel Morgan wrote:
:)Hemant Shah wrote:
:)
:)> While stranded on information super highway mcstock wrote:
:)> :)refer to the SET TRANSACTION statement in the SQL Reference manual
:)> :)
:)> :)relevant options are: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE and ISOLATION LEVEL READ
:)> :)COMMITTED (default)
:)> :)
:)> :)doesn't look like ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE does what you want
:)> :)
:)> :)
:)> :)you'll also want to carefully review the sections on Data Concurrency and
:)> :)Consistency in the Concepts manual
:)> :)
:)>
:)>
:)> As others have mentioned, none of the isolation level will block readers.
:)> I will have to find some other way.
:)
:)Why? Oracle has had this model for more than a decade and it has never
:)caused anyone a problem. Which, I would think, would make you consider
:)that maybe the problem is in your design requirement.

How do you know it has not caused any problems? Users may have had to code around it (like I will have to do it), and I am trying to find out what solutions others may have used. This design works under VSAM, DB2 and SQL server. Oracle is different (and thats O.K.) but it does not make it right.

:)
:)Why not avoid the wasted effort creating a performance and scalability
:)killing kludge and just present the business problem you are trying to
:)solve?

 Read my other posts where I explain in a nutshell what the problem is.

 This is an online realtime transaction processing system,  and the design has worked under different systems (MVS, VSE, Unix, Windows)  and different databases (DB2, SQL Server) and filesystems (VSAM, C-ISAM)  without any changes for 20 years, so I think the design is pretty solid.

 We are now porting to Oracle and are finding out the differences between  Oracle and other databases, and I am trying to find out what I need to do to  fix the problem.

:)--
:)Daniel Morgan
:)http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
:)http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
:)damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
:)(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
:)

--
Hemant Shah                           /"\  ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: NoJunkMailshah_at_xnet.com       \ /  ---------------------