Re: Changing isolation level?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:05:36 +1100

Just in case there's any confusion with my original post...

What I take David Alpern to have suggested is that I should have issued a 'select for update' when asking for the stock levels on behalf of Mrs. Miggins. Either my select would have then succeeded (in which case, I know no other transactions for the turbo-widgets are taking place), or it would have hung horribly, indicating that the stock levels for that item were currently undergoing change.

So yes, select for update would have "sorted" my problem. But I dislike having to pretend I'm about to update when I'm not, and the locking issues in Oracle as she stands from doing so are quite unpleasant.

I still think there is an argument for an option to perform a dirty read (which is, of course, roughly what flashback permits).

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Dec 03 2003 - 22:05:36 CST