Re: NAS with Oracle ?

From: NorwoodThree <norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2003 15:34:28 -0800

NAS is touted a lot by NAS vendors, but the "word on the street" is that its all hype. I can tell you by experience that a company I used to work for thought that it would be a good idea to run their data warehouse on NAS (Network Appliance). I have never gone thru a more painful experience in my 6-year IT career. Luckily I got out before it ruined my reputation.

I had all of these problems at once:

  1. Slow queries
  2. Slow data loads
  3. Corrupted data
  4. Exports would fail because the I/O would bang so much, Oracle would lose contact with its datafiles and the checkpoint process would take Oracle down.

My .02 is stay away from NAS...it is just not worth it. I tout this a lot in this group and people still keep buying it anyway. Have fun. Received on Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:34:28 CST