Re: Index on Number & Varchar2

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2003 12:03:24 -0800

tosahil_at_yahoo.com (Tillu) wrote in message news:<ef9028f5.0312020043.3f13d4a6_at_posting.google.com>...
> One of the column in a new table can be ename - varchar2(20) or
> hase_code_ename - number(11) ? Hash Code generated by JAVA.
> We are going to create non-unique index on this column as one frequent
> query will have where clause on this column only. Choice is either
> varchar2(20) or number(11).
> 1. Is Non-unique index on Number is faster then varchar2? Why?
> 2. If Number column has negative values, then will it affect
> performance of Non-unique index on it?
> 3. How much space Number & Varchar2 consume? i.e storage space
> difference between number(10) and varchar2(10)
>
> Sahil

Please do not cross-post. When a newsgroup has sub-groups this generally means you should post to one of the sub-groups and not to the group. Many news reader services no longer carry comp.databases.oracle but provide access to the subgroups only.

You the column that the customer knows and will query on.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Dec 03 2003 - 14:03:24 CST