Re: ALter table move on IOT - TOP

From: Robert <_at_tref.nl>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:47:35 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Robert wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have an 8.1.7.4 DB.
>> The database holds a schema for a specific application.
>> I recently inherited the administration off the instance.
>> The guy who used to do it quit the job.
>>
>> I saw he used some IOT table's (i'm not sure why, but that's another
>> question).
>>
>> After looking in the database it looks like he isn't the great DBA after
>> all. He did create tablespaces for data and for indexes (even on seperate
>> disks). But all schemas have SYSTEM as default and all tables ended up in
>> the SYSTEM tablespace because the create statement for all tables didn't
>> specify another tablespace.
>>
>> I don;t hav any experience with IOT's
>> After looking up some docs i understand that it used a normal index
>> organisation and a "overflow" tablespace. Seems OK.
>>
>> But i couldn't find anything about moving IOT's. I would like to move the
>> IOT out of SYSTEM.
>>
>> Can i safely execute
>> alter table <table_name> move tablespace <tablespace_name>
>> on the table's ??
>>
>> What does oracle do with the overflow data ?
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Definitely move it: Move it all. But please don't get into the mythology
> that separate tablespaces for tables and indexes have anything to do
> with anything beyond ease of maintenance. That vampire has had a stake
> through its heart for quite some time and doesn't need to be
> resurrected. Killing it a dozen times a year should be enough.

LOL i know, i don't seperate data and indexes for performance reason's Sometimes it's just easier to recreate an index tablespace and run the create script again rather then looking for the right section on the right tape.......

I didn't want to wake up mr Vampire....

Thanks for the reply.... Received on Wed Dec 03 2003 - 12:47:35 CST