Re: Sparc Mhz vs. Intel Mhz for Oracle

From: Mike <michaeljnugent_at_NOSPAMhotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:21:43 -0600

You might also take a peek at http://www.tpc.org/

Grain of salt when checking all benchmarks...

I like cross checking INT performance from SPEC for something like apples-apples for raw CPU (FP doesn't matter much for most RDBMS implementations), and then taking a look at TPC. Note that TPC tests more complex functions so is easier to manipulate by the vendor. Also note that some SPEC benchmarks handle parallelism for multiCPUs and others don't... keep an eye out for that.

Don't forget about about 32 bit vs. 64 bit if you need the memory address capability.

Don't you hate it when the RDBMS vendors drive you to a possibly unnatural system config, just because of their current per CPU pricing policies...!