Re: Changing isolation level?

From: Hemant Shah <shah_at_typhoon.xnet.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 23:28:29 +0000 (UTC)

While stranded on information super highway mcstock wrote:
:)refer to the SET TRANSACTION statement in the SQL Reference manual
:)
:)relevant options are: ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE and ISOLATION LEVEL READ
:)COMMITTED (default)
:)
:)doesn't look like ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE does what you want
:)
:)
:)you'll also want to carefully review the sections on Data Concurrency and
:)Consistency in the Concepts manual
:)

 As others have mentioned, none of the isolation level will block readers.  I will have to find some other way.

:)
:)however, do you really want writers to block readers? lower thruput?
:)
:)-- mark c stock
:)-- mcstock at enquery . com
:)-- www.enquery.com
:)
:)
:)"Hemant Shah" <shah_at_typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message
:)news:bqiv85$bc3$1_at_flood.xnet.com...
:)|
:)| Folks,
:)|
:)| I have been working with DB2 for few years now, and in DB2 I can use the
:)| isolation level of CS. If one process has updated the row or deleted the
:)row
:)| but not yet commited it, and another process tries to read it, it will
:)be
:)| blocked until the first process commits the changes.
:)|
:)| In Oracle the default behaviour is that the select of the second process
:)| gets the old version of the data. How can I change the isolation level,
:)| preferably at database level, so that is blocks the selects if the
:)select
:)| for update and delete has not yet commited the changes.
:)|
:)| Which isolation level in Oracle can I use?
:)|
:)|
:)| --
:)| Hemant Shah /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
:)| E-mail: NoJunkMailshah_at_xnet.com \ / ---------------------
:)| X against HTML mail
:)| TO REPLY, REMOVE NoJunkMail / \ and postings
:)| FROM MY E-MAIL ADDRESS.
:)| -----------------[DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED BULK E-MAIL]------------------
:)| I haven't lost my mind, Above opinions are mine only.
:)| it's backed up on tape somewhere. Others can have their own.
:)
:)