Re: how to group synonyms ?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Dec 2003 14:24:11 -0800

"mcstock" <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com> wrote in message news:<n-ednTJfMPqL91qiRVn-uw_at_comcast.com>...
> good feedback, billy
>
> the focus of my original post was synonyms vs hard-coded schema names -- so
> it we agree on the basic concept but disagree on PUBLIC vs PRIVATE --
> neither view being wrong, certainly worth debating ;-)

this may be common knowledge, but wouldn't one solution be to just have a login trigger execute "ALTER SESSION SET CURRENT_SCHEMA=<app_owner>;"

and not use either PUBLIC or PRIVATE synonyms?

yes, there are multiple reasons why an existing application can't do this.
(e.g. the app constructs tables on the fly (not GTTs) and you do not want the user to create in the app_owner schema (this is why I don't use the current_schema route).

but it deserves mention in this thread.

Pd Received on Tue Dec 02 2003 - 16:24:11 CST