Re: Custom OEM event

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 2 Dec 2003 21:43:14 GMT

Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in news:3FCCED9B.B5215355_at_remove_spam.peasland.com:

>> The databases I'm concerned about are 8i with LMT's. I'm concerned
>> about running out of space in a tablespace. It's not about number of
>> extents in a segment. I just want to know when I've got about a weeks
>> worth of space left so I can add a datafile.

> Why not use something like OEM's Capacity Planner to get a handle on
> your expected growth and allocate enough space to handle that growth
> for the next 6 months, year, or whatever? I stopped worrying about
> reaching maxextents many moons ago once I went to LMTs.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

I already have a handle on expected growth. I know that my segments will grow by 1 extent every 3-4 days. I've intentionally sized my extents that way so that I can easily know when I've got about a week to prevent a problem. Why not add enough space for 6 months? Sure, why not. But in 6 months I'm *still* going to need something to tell me to do it again. That's all I'm looking for. Something to tell me that segments are going to begin failing to extend and that I need to prevent that from happening. I would think that's a pretty common thing to ask for. From the responses I'm getting though, I guess it's not.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email