Re: [noise][Netiquette] Re: Design approaches about primary key

From: mcstock <_at_>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:29:12 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:s9ppsv4hbv7s1die9thdlng3tto6vr3kb2_at_4ax.com...
| On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:02:02 +0100, "Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote:
|
| >Hi man,
| >
| >Do you really think that Euro-dev is better than US ?
| >Nationality is not the issue. Skill is . . .
| >
| >Alkos
|
| You are wrong about skills. Too many 'developers' only skill is to hit
| buttons... the wrong ones! They never ever received any *formal*
| tuition, they don't even know a thing about normalization, they set up
| tables without primary and foreign keys, etc, etc, etc.
| Yes they have skills... to hack that is. Basically they can't develop
| at all, and if no one is overseeing their work, or (which is quite
| common) their manager doesn't know anything about IT too, you'll
| invariably end up with a system in need of urgent repair.
| Alas, when it is discovered this is necessary the 'system' is
| production and the developers to the Norht Pole.
|

| --
| Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

You've made a good case for Skill, Sybrand, or actually lack there-of.

Problem is, many such skill-challenged developers have been formally trained -- it's amazing how many poor quality and just plain wrong training and reference texts still exist. How often have you seen examples like this in teaching SELECT WHERE:

select ename, sal
from emp
where hiredate > '01-JAN-87'

or

select ename, sal
from emp
where to_char(hiredate) > '02-FEB-88'

How many texts still refer to SQL*Plus as 'Oracle's extension to the SQL language'.

Just today in doing a quick check in a Oracle Press 9i book, within 5 minutes I ran across two glaring errors regarding 'OPS$' accounts, and misleading statements confusing SQL*Plus functionality with PL/SQL functionality.

That being said, besides poor training and inaccurate texts, the next biggest deficiency to overcome is just plain logical thinking.

I don't think any geographic region has a lock on any of these 'attributes'