Re: new posts to an old issue

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:57:56 -0000

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=3f927ab3%240%243699%24afc38c87%40news.optusnet.com.au&rnum=8&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dyls177%2Bgroup:comp.databases.oracle.server%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dcomp.databases.oracle.server%26scoring%3Dd

> > hi, from the above... i cant post to that again. so have to link these
> > two together...
> >
> > basically... its like this
> >
> > recently.. my colleagues have come up with 2 shutdown procedures and
> > are as belows
> >
> > 1)
> > alter system switch logfile
> > alter system checkpoint
> > shutdown abort
> > startup restrict
> > shutdown immediate
> >
> > 2)
> > alter system switch logfile
> > alter system checkpoint
> > shutdown immediate
> >
> > are there any major differences between them?
> >
> > we noticed that (1) shutdowns much faster than (2).. this is because
> > of the abort statement?
>
> Think of it this way:
>
> You're making a phone call. Issuing the shutdown command basically
> stops all new connections, so thinking only about the existing
> connections:
>
> Your version 1 .... someone comes along and takes a cleaver to the phone
> cable (shutdown abort). Then gets out the repair tape (startup restrict)
> and tells everyone to hang up.
>
> Your version 2 .... someone comes along and says 'finish your sentance
> and hang up now, please' and waits patiently until everyone has said
> their good-byes and has hung up.
>
> If someone has walked away from their terminal (or hasn't stopped the
> intelligent agent), #2 could take a LONG time.

shutdown immediate will kill all sessions and roll them back if necessary, so shouldnt take too long.

shutdown normal would take forever