Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 13:42:48 GMT

In article <91884734.0312011531.262b8eeb_at_posting.google.com>, joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote:

>So what do you do if they are dumb-asses before they've been treated?
>:-)

Re-examine your hiring and/or compensation practices. In other words, avoid hiring dumb-asses in the first place. ;-)

>Seriously, some of the worst I've seen are newbies with a chip on
>their shoulder. They come at it with the attitude that the way they

Newbies or wet-behind-the-ears young'uns fresh out of college that just need to shut up and mature a bit? :-)

>Personally, I'd rather that developers be encouraged to be creative,
>with a filtering process that explicates Oracle's issues with
>attempted solutions (in a practical sense that means Explain Plan and
>code reviews, as Daniel points out). This tends to be at odds with
>classical formal design processes.

What're "classical formal design processes?" Because I think code reviews with an experienced DBA that provides developers with insight in how to do things better should be welcomed... as long as the DBA isn't full of shatt (or himself) and/or an ass about it. I think experienced developers would, at least. Received on Tue Dec 02 2003 - 07:42:48 CST