Re: 9.2.0.4 Redhat AS vs HP-UX 11i vs Windows

From: D Alpern <ivorykeyer88ns_at_nshotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:49:40 -0500

Data Guard Manager failed consistently whenever it would start to copy the first datafile (the system file) upon creation of the physical standby. The file would be created (empty) and then the actual data copy would fail with error "dgctrl ERROR: copyFileDG: socket creation failed: Bad file descriptor". Checked assorted things (firewall, disk space, etc...) couldn't identify the problem and finally opened a TAR. Suffice it to say that the support analyst did not sing the praises of the GUI and suggested that I would have more success using the command line instead. A lazy answer? - perhaps, but I had spent enough time trying to get it to work and using the command line was fine with me. I was actually just using it to see if Oracle had managed to produce a good and functional GUI based tool. I still haven't spent a great deal of time using OEM, but, on balance, it does seem to finally be a somewhat useful tool.

If, for some strange reason, you would like to see lots more detailed trace information from the failure point, send me an email and I'll send it along.

  David

(rm ns beside @ in return email address)