Re: CTX server problems

From: Guy Dallaire <gd-newsgroups_at_spamex.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:14:13 -0500

We had the same sort of problems with 8.1.7.x on solaris 32 bits. There was no fix at oracle. SOlution was to monitor the process from the OS side and restart as necessary. One of our database instance exhibitd the problem, the other one was not, but it was not as heavily used. Looks like some sort of cursor leakage (opened but never closed).

Be warned that the ctxsrv process will be phased out. I think it is not even available in 9i. Instead take a look on metalink for the CTX_SCHEDULE package. It uses dbms_job to submit index resyncs from time to time (programmable)

Intermedia is NOT designed to index stuff "on the fly". Normally, you refresh the text indices from time to time. (Updates and inserts to indexed columns are queued in some tables) But, normally, users want to see their changes "immediately" you will have to design around this and/or educate your users.

We have some indexes here that are refreshed every 15 minutes. This is the minimum time we can give our users. Otherwise, your system will always be indexing and that's not a good idea.