Re: 9.2.0.4 Redhat AS vs HP-UX 11i vs Windows

From: D Alpern <ivorykeyer88ns_at_nshotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 08:24:45 -0500

While I can't provide any comparison of Oracle on Linux vs. Windows, at least on a production environment, I can tell you of our experience with Linux and Oracle.

We opted to migrate from Solaris to Linux upon receiving our Solairs yearly support/maintenance invoice earlier this year. We quickly narrowed the choice of distros to either Red Hat and SUSE. Although we considered SUSE the better choice, we ultimately decided to use Red Hat for reasons other than the database. Specifically, we run Sun Directory Server (LDAP) and, at the time, it was supported on Red Hat but not SUSE.

We purchased new Dell servers. With the purchase, we were able to take advantage of an incentive that allowed us to purchase 3 year RH AS licenses for the price of a 1 year RH license if purchased directly from Red Hat. I don't know whether this incentive is still available. As you're probably aware, and if you ever rely upon support, you can now get support for Red Hat (as well as for assorted other supported Linux distros) directly from Oracle itself.

Other than having to make a few relatively minor changes to some monitoring and backup shell scripts, it was a fairly boring affair. The DB config and install docs were generally accurate and the DB creation and data movement went very smoothly. We found the information in this web site to be particularly useful: http://www.puschitz.com/. (I'm *not* Werner, the individual who runs the site!)

We've been running in production 24x7 since August and have had no OS or Oracle problems or anomalies. Although no targeted metrics were gathered, our general metrics showed significant performance improvement on Linux vs. Solaris. Please take that statement for what it's worth, which is decidedly not much since the performance improvements could have resulted from any number of variables (new, unfragmented disks, Oracle 8.1.7.4 vs. 9.2.0.3, faster CPUs, etc., etc.)

We're currently running 9.2.0.3 in production, soon to be 9.2.0.4. The DB supports a web services, ASP type of application. There are not vast numbers of users (yet) but availability and scalability is obviously very important to us and our stress and soak tests have produced good results.

I'm in the process of implementing a physical standby database to a local (for now) server and, while I'm not done with my testing yet, I haven't had any problems that seem to be Linux specific.

While not a fan of OEM, I have been spending some time with it lately and have had no problems (at least, no Linux problems...) with OMS, the intelligent agent and the like. (BTW, I'd strongly advise against spending any time attempting to use the OEM Data Guard Manager GUI.)

  David

(rm ns beside @ in return email address)