Re: -- insert instead of an update

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 21:36:03 +1100

"Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote in message news:bqf2p2$p715_at_news.rd.francetelecom.fr...

> "Galen Boyer" <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> u3cc7aooz.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com...

> > > Hope this was intended to be ironical :-/ My only wish is to
> > > discover what's new with that version because some companies
> > > are using it so I don't want to close myself some job
> > > opportunities. But maybe a Senior Oracle DBA has some good
> > > advice to give me, hasn't you, Sybrand ;)
> >
> > Sybrand's answer wasn't ironical. He just isn't usually all that
> > warm and fuzzy.
> >
> > I try not to criticize designs that I know nothing about, but I
> > am suspicious of your design. Why should an update ever cause an
> > insert to the same table? I am assuming auditing is stored in
> > your entity table? What's your primary key to this entity table?
> >
> > --
> > Galen Boyer
>
> Hi Galen,
>
> The purpose of my design was simply to find a use for instead of triggers.
> Another purpose was to see how far it was possible to separate the logical
> view of the data
> from their implementation in a table.
>
> Logical view behaves simply as we expect (delete deletes record, update
> updates and insert inserts)
> the underlying table behaves another way (delete marks a record as
deleted,
> update updates but insert the old version into a new row)
>
> My goal is to keep many versions of reference data in my database so I'm
> testing different solutions (triggers was one, I keep on searching ;-).
> Needless to say that I give up the "instead of triggers" solution :))

I haven't been following this thread, so my apologies if this is out of left field. But if you need the database to contain many versions of the same data, have you investigated 9i's Workspace Manager feature?

Sheer brilliance, in MHO. (Oh, and it uses instead of triggers, too!)

You might not even be running on 9i, so my apologies for an unwonted intrustion if so.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Dec 01 2003 - 04:36:03 CST