Re: WRe: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Alkos <azerty_at_nospam.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 09:24:28 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> a écrit dans le message news: blefsvs3f18hd8cnq8t45cn26gvcsobm9h_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:23:56 +0100, "Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote:
>
> >Datatypes is an issue I'm constantly dealing with :-((
> >
> >Using a unproper (is that correct English ?) datatype for column
> >e.g. NUMBER for a date (number of days/seconds elapsed)
> > VARCHAR2 instead of NUMBER for a numeric
> >
> >Being unaware of nearly deprecated datatypes and keeping on using them
> >(VARCHAR, RAW)
>

> Let's shake hands. I have to deal with an in-house developed app
> (yuck) in which all number(10) are stored as varchar2s, left-padded.
> Everytime when I set up a query filter in Toad I have to take those
> dratted leading 0s into account. I will remain silent about the
> performance impact.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Hi Sybrand,

I think there is a conspiracy/contest between developers to make the use of datatypes
to most obfuscated possible.

A recent example (simple one but hidden in a sql script of 1000 lines) Select bla bla
from table1,table2
where join predicates
and table1.status!=1;

=> ORA 1722 (status was VARCHAR2 but now contains only numeric)

Cheers,
Alkos Received on Mon Dec 01 2003 - 02:24:28 CST