Re: Index vs. table scans in statspack reports

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:48:13 -0000

The object isn't hot, it's a specific block from the object. If you haven't got the root block bug, then the block could
be from a very small object that is accessed very frequently, or a block which is the leading edge of a table or index which is 'the most current block' of that object. You need to spot the object, and decide why one block from it might be of extreme interest.

Solutions are then business/application dependent, but could include rebuilding a table with a very large pctfree to minimise the rows per block hence spread the accesses across multiple blocks; turn an indexed table into a single table hash cluster to eliminate index lookup contention, and so on.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html