Re: Ever met a good data modeler?

From: John <jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Nov 2003 21:18:49 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1070218159.300927_at_yasure>...
> John wrote:
>
> > Hi group,
> >
> > Have you ever met a good data modeler? Why do you think he or she is
> > good? Thanks for sharing!
> >

> > John
>
> Yes.
>
> Because they don't create unresolved many-to-many relationships. Because
> their table structures are somewhere between third and fourth normal
> form. Because they understand how to reasonably denormalize when moving
> from OLTP to OLAP. Because they understand the difference between a star
> schema and a snowflake. Because they know when, and how, to leverage
> object-relational features.
>
> And because they know enough about the database for which they are
> designing to take advantage of its strengths and avoid its weaknesses.

Thanks all. Is there such thing as data modeling consultant? Have you ever met a data modeling contractor? My impression is that you need to know a lot about the business process to be able to model the data proerply. Assuming that you have financial data modeling background. Can you really come to a manufacturing environment and start doing data modeing? Some of the entities can have hundreds of attributes. There can be hundreds of entities. If you don't know them well enough, can you really model them? I guess the answer is probably "well, you study them. Given enough time, you will be able to model them correctly". But I just like to hear other people's opinions.

John Received on Sun Nov 30 2003 - 23:18:49 CST