Re: Oracle Application Server

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:16:29 -0600

We have used this product since around 96 when it was called Oracle WebServer, version 1.0 .

It has since had many names like ...

- Oracle Web Application Server
- Oracle Application Server
- Internet Application Server

And it is definitely a different "beast" from the database server.

I also agree it is not the best product from Oracle. If you want to install the full Oracle Application Server, it REQUIRES an "infrastructure" database (separate from your normal Oracle databases) and is problematic when installed on the same machine as the iAS .

So, if you want to use this "beast" in production (or even test), be prepared to have at a minimum 3 different servers - 1 for iAS, 1 for "infrastructure" database, and 1 for your normal Oracle database.