Re: Design approaches about primary key

From: Sven Kolar <devnull_at_svenkolar.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 23:09:56 +0100

Hi Mr. Bakker!

> Utter crap.

Please. No need to drag the discussion to the floor.

> Lookup tables should be in the keep buffer pool.
> And lookup tables are usually small.

Take a look at my post again. Did I say that lookup tables shouldn't be buffered, Mr. Bakker? No.

Futher, your statement "lookup tables are usually small" is perfectly true. But for the purposes of this discussion an total non sequitur nevertheless, because there are lookup tables which are big. And just one exception to that "rule" can slow an (OLTP) database significantly.

I was talking about avoiding lookup operations (no matter how small the tables are, or whether they are on the disk or in RAM), NOT about avoiding I/O operations (no matter how big the tables are).

I would suggest respecting etiquette, and not plunging into uncivil, primitive and ill-mannered discourse. I decline any further discussion with you, Mr. Bakker. Have a nice day.

--
HTH, Sven
---